Canal Capital Management is an independent registered investment advisor (RIA) located in Richmond, Va. We provide objective investment, tax, business advisory, real estate and financial advice. Our client base consists of successful high net worth families and institutions. We have been recognized locally as one of the fastest growing firms in Richmond and nationally as one of the fastest growing investment firms in the county. Our principals are mostly age 40 and under. We have a culture that works extremely hard in a fun, sleek and collaborative work environment.
Job Summary: Canal Capital Management is seeking a professional and motivated CPA, CFP or CPA/CFP candidate to join our growing business as a Tax & Financial Planning Associate. The Tax & Financial Planning Associate will be an integral part of the high net worth income tax planning and compliance practice. They will work closely with clients, alongside other Canal Capital team members, to understand their individual situations and provide customized solutions tailored to their individual needs.
Key responsibilities include preparation and delivery of income tax returns, income tax projections, financial plans, and servicing clients within a holistic wealth management practice.
- Supports the lead advisor in all areas of the client relationship
- Participates in client meetings with lead advisor to develop client acquisition skills and to support the conversion of prospects to clients
- Prepares for and leads ongoing client review meetings
- Responsible for data management of client information
- Develops and maintains standardized proposals, presentations and resource library
- Participates in regular team meetings and annual business planning strategy session as requested
- Maintains strong compliance documentation related to research and trading
- Knowledge of key financial, investment and risk management concepts
- Able to lead review meetings with existing clients
- Can assure people and put them at ease
- Comfortable with presentations and telephone conversations
- Excellent listener
- Possesses a passion to help team and clients
- Possesses strong analytical skills
- Reliable and follows through on commitments
- Systematic approach to tasks
- Ability to see big picture and handle details
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet); ability to learn in-house programs and tools
- Skilled in basic statistics and quantitative products portfolio theory
- Able to prioritize; deadline and detail sensitive
- Takes direction and executes a plan
- Dedicated to developing a career within the financial services industry
- Bachelors’ degree with CPA, CFP or CPA/CFP candidate.
- Income tax compliance experience is a plus, but not required, however the desire to be an integral part of the tax practice is required.
- Experience working on multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.
- A self-starter who is motivated, organized, and team oriented.